You don’t necessarily need to use a 3rd party framework because since iOS 4.2, MKMapView has a method called
- (NSSet *)annotationsInMapRect:(MKMapRect)mapRect which you can use to do your clustering.
Check out the WWDC11 Session video ‘Visualizing Information Geographically with MapKit‘. About half way through it explains how to do it. But I’ll summarize the concept for you:
- Use Two maps (second map is never added to the view hierarchy)
- Second map contains all annotations (again, it’s never drawn)
- Divide map area into a grid of squares
-annotationsInMapRectmethod to get annotation data from
- Visible map builds its annotations from this data from invisible map